Never Say Never

I found an article on the Guardian (UK) that struck me from its title alone: “Never say never: why theatre critics should keep an open mind.” It was written in response to a NY Times ArtBeat article about a critic’s public declaration to never see work by Adam Rapp ever again. I initially read the article, but couldn’t form my thoughts. When I found this article, it clarified things for me.

Upon reading the title, it immediately raised the idea that actors, directors, and designers should never insist that they do not do one type of show. When someone refuses to do a show they deem as outside of their realm, they’re missing out on something that they don’t realize. Michael Billington talks about his experience as a critic and having someone ask him to not review anymore of their works. However, the playwright doesn’t realize what a diservice they would be doing to themselves. Without that opinion of “this didn’t work” or “that didn’t make sense,” how does the playwright know what they maybe should consider and think differently about next time they write? Billington has a quote that everyone should remember “One of the key qualities of a critic is the endless capacity to be surprised.” This should be something everyone remembers and thinks about before turning a project down because it isn’t what they normally do. Variation on a theme leads to a monotony. Surprise yourself. Do something different. Maybe you’ll discover something new and exciting that motivates you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/theatreblog/2011/oct/10/theatre-critics-keep-open-mind