We Need to go Deeper

I stumbled upon this comparison to Inception and theatre that I thought I would share with all of you. The article basically lays out each job of the characters in the movie Inception and correlates it with a job in the theatre. It is actually dead on with its description and summarizes in this final paragraph what the final product of Inception or of a play is: An invented world, created for the purpose of providing the audience with an idea. The world is inhabited by people pretending to be other people, and they help bring the world to life. I love this description and it really makes me want to go back and watch Inception again to delve a little deeper.

Another thing I truly appreciated about this article that I wanted to bring attention to was the author, Bevin Dooley’s, description of the dramaturge. I liked that she investigated the role the dramaturge has with the playwright, they are not just the person who gives people a book of information but instead a very “perceptive” vital person who explores and questions the world the playwright is beginning to make. They are a member of the team not just an assistant for the playwright but a true collaborator in the process.

“Every good Inceptor needs a Point Man, and in Dom’s case, it’s Arthur (Joseph Gordon-Levitt). The Point Man collects all the necessary information about the target; it’s his job to make sure that all bases are covered and that no question is left unanswered. This is much like the job of the dramaturge, who in my opinion, deserve far more credit than they are given, because they are incredibly perceptive. A dramaturge helps the playwright answer all the dangling questions about the world of the play, the characters and the action of the plot, among others. They help the playwright understand their play inside and out.