Big Questions: In Which Abigail Uses an Over-Extended Metaphor

This week, we are supposed to write about the big questions.

No pressure.

Just some little queries like: Why am I here? What is driving me? You know, the kind of existentialist things that philosophers have been stroking their beards about since the beginning of time.

Ok, I’m being snarky. Self examination is important. And scary. Terrifying, sometimes, in fact. When I start to think that the decisions I make now (majors, internships, connections with people) are deciding the current and direction of the rest of my life, that is more than a little unnerving.

Here are some things I know for sure:

1. I want to serve people, especially the people who are forgotten or ignored by society–the people whose voices are not heard.
  2. I want my faith to be a part of what I do, a life informed by the 7 Principles of Unitarian Universalism.
  3. I want to engage with people of other religions (or no religion) in my work.

Which is not a neat, tidy answer. It’s no “I’m pre-med” or “I’m going to be an engineer.” Instead, it’s a big, tangled mess of emotions and dreams and idealism all balled up into a hazy knot called “my future.”

So I guess that answers the question, in a way, of why I am here, working at Marsh Chapel. I am here to untangle that knot. To find a loose end and pull at it. To (continuing this metaphor far further than it should have been taken) unravel the threads and begin to weave a tapestry of the future with them.

Something with a clear image. The place I someday want to be.