“As you let your own light shine…

…you unconsciously give others permission to do the same.” – Marianne Williamson

Some people just have an incredible, innate ability to inspire. You can just tell that they have come in touch with their own connection to the divine (a connection I believe each of us has, but which some have a harder time finding than others). These are people who have a certain light, a certain joy.

These are people I met at Coming Together 6.

Enter the Hindu student who was teased for his faith in middle school. Determined to build understanding, he set out on a journey in high school to learn about the other religions out there. He studied with Mormons in their early-morning before-school classes for a year. He lived in a Buddhist monastery for a summer. He grabbed on tight to every opportunity that he could, making friends and building connection along the way.

Enter Elizabeth Davenport, the charming British Dean of UChicago’s Rockefeller Chapel (yes, those Rockefellers), who played the bongos on our first night and had us look around the table and tell people that we loved them with our eyes.

Enter the Muslim UChicago divinity student who is training to be a hospital chaplain. Or another divinity student who said that out of being gay, socialist, and Jewish, the Jewish part was the hardest for his evangelical family to cope with.  Or the Mormon doctorate student struggling with the flaws of his church but still dedicated to the family of believers.

Yes, there were panels and events and speakers and important educational opportunities at Coming Together. And I fully appreciated them (might I also mention that I fully appreciated the chocolate-covered strawberries and cake pops at the dessert reception?). But what was most meaningful to me were the human experiences–the conversations over dinner, the chats in between events, the deep late-night conversations while finding the secret stairway to the very top of the cathedral-like chapel, with the best view on campus.

One of my favorite ways of understanding our relationship to the  divine is through the Quaker metaphor of an inner light. I like to think of it as a candle.

On one of the nights of the conference, a wonderful Middle Eastern music group called the Yuval Ron Ensemble (its members are Muslim, Jewish, and Christian, and their aim to build peace through music), played a concert at the chapel. The final song was very simple–the words were, “Shalom…Salam…Hallelujah.” They were repeated, over and over again, beautiful and trance-like. Yuval Ron and his fellow musicians stood up and encouraged us to join in. “Shalom…Salam..Hallelujah.” Our words echoed in the vast spaces of the chapel, warm and filled with melody.

And as we sang it, a cappella, all of us in harmony, I couldn’t help but envisioning hundreds of tiny candles, one burning deep in the heart of each person. The longer we sang, the more they blazed together into brilliant light. I may have gotten teary-eyed. It was beautiful.

Enter the future peacemakers.

Dusty Couchman posted on March 29, 2013 at 6:01 am

Hi, I do believe this is an excellent website. I stumbledupon it 😉 I am going to come back once again since i have book-marked it. Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to help other people.

thisis posted on June 11, 2013 at 7:07 am

awesomee, easy post

Eliseo Baugh posted on June 13, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I love getting the letters, but please don’t go telling folks they are heading for getting about a single a week. I have been lucky to acquire just one a month. You need to do a little better than that….or prevent the pinocchio stories at the really least. If an individual a month is what it is, then that’s what it is.

Lawrence Eyewear Mystique Wwe 45 posted on July 23, 2013 at 9:28 am

Clearly going through the above post many will accept this since its reality so it is good to see a blogger thats blogging it for all to see to look at

Cory Eccleston posted on May 7, 2020 at 8:34 am

Awsome, Nice Post!..

토토커뮤니티 posted on October 12, 2023 at 9:37 pm

Thank you for other nice posts too. Can other people get information in that ideal way? I have a presentation next week, and I’m looking for such information. 토토커뮤니티

Miki posted on November 28, 2023 at 5:44 am

Great post

https://kostadinovic-dental.com/

Miki posted on February 29, 2024 at 9:59 am

Read about this post; it is very hands-on and quite interesting.
https://www.ganztagsschule-niedersachsen.de/neuigkeiten/die-bedeutung-der-mundhygiene-bei-kindern/

Miki posted on April 25, 2024 at 4:45 am

Read great magazine which has lot of topic to be read

https://ol-araund.com/

Intern posted on May 21, 2024 at 4:36 am

Great information. Looking for SOP writing services Australia? We are professional SOP writers. Contact us to know more.