Home Sick

In all of my time at BU never can I remember a time so distinctly when I was as home sick as I am now.  I miss my family, my partner, my dog.  Perhaps because after all of the stresses of college I associate being home with rest, and I really long for rest.  Maybe it is because I have been sick, and I always get a little home sick when I am actually sick.  Maybe it is because I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I am all the more eager to return to the familiar.

There have been moments along the way when Boston felt like home.  There will forever be a part of my soul that is attached to this place.  I love this city.  But even too much of a good thing can drive you crazy.  I miss looking up and seeing the stars.  I miss the sounds of frogs and crickets (rather than construction and sirens).  I miss my mom’s cooking (though she did teach me all I know and I am not a terrible cook myself).  I miss having family dinners on the deck outside, I miss local hiking trails.  I miss perhaps, the slightly slower pace of it all.  Maybe I am just tired.

I am about to graduate from college, and I am almost ironically homesick.  While all my peers scramble to get one last of (insert college activity here) in before graduation, I long deeply for the comforts of home, and the knowledge of being done.

I am almost there, to the end.They say home is where the heart is, and my heart is not here.  It is of no fault of Boston, it is simply where my heart is.  Perhaps it reinforces my reflections from last week; I am ready for the next chapter.

Amen.