Year Four

As a sit on this Monday night after reflecting on my spiritual journey tonight at our Marsh meeting, I thank God for the progress made thus far. Year three really challenged who I  was as an individual, I didn’t think I was capable of doing “good things.” As someone who prided myself on being a good guy, year three I made a bunch of mistakes, it shook me to my core. I had lows that I did not think I would recover from and for the first time in my life I felt truly alone. I held on to the sentiments of Mordecai as he spoke to Queen Esther, “…for such a time as this.”

I spent the summer before year four practicing radical hospitality. Broad Street Ministry reminded what it means to love like Jesus. I led mission trips throughout the great city of Philadelphia and I learned from middle and high school students all around the country. They reminded me who I was. I fell in love with singing Oceans and Down to the River to Play, and finding joy in telling the stories of Jesus. But there was one part of the week that always touched my soul. Learning about this rarely mentioned hero named Obadiah who hid a 100 prophets 50 to a cave. He practiced quiet resistance and fearless speech in the most genuine way. His story, him being consistently overlooked reminded me to keep going.

Year four, I sit in places that I could not have imagined three years ago when I chose to call this place home. For the remainder of my time at BU, I hope to be more like Obadiah and to choose the right moment like Esther. While the possibilities of the future scare me, the promises of the present fuel me. Carry. The. Love.

– Young Jedi

n.y posted on June 10, 2023 at 6:01 am

How nice to know that you did a lot of “good things”. Few people have this feature.