[POLICY] Trip to Paris, France for the 2023 Paris Defence Young Leaders Programme organized by IRSEM (Institut de la Recherche Stratégique et Militaire)

From June 11 to 16, 2023, I participated in the second edition of the Paris Defence Young Leaders Programme organized by IRSEM (Institut de la Recherche Stratégique et Militaire). My engagements with the foreign embassies in Seoul regarding economic security had led to the opportunity – when I was recommended by Sandra Cohen, Conseillère of the Embassy of France in South Korea (La France en Corée – Ambassade de France). My participation in the programme was decided by the Attaché de défense.

I had studied the French language for about seven years throughout high school and college, and had studied in the francophone environment for a summer in Geneva, Switzerland and Annecy, France in 2002, then again in Geneva in 2005. When I entered the PhD program to focus on East Asian political economy, my language focus was solely on Chinese and Japanese that I could not return to studying French. During the pandemic from 2020-2021, while preparing for the European Research Council (ERC) starting grant (which ultimately I did not apply for) I went back to French and picked up German. Given the increasing relevance of Europe, the Gulf, and East Asia in the Indo-Pacific (as well as in my own research), I think going back to studying French did me a big favor. I had not returned to France for 21 years, except a transit at the airport en route to Florence, Italy in 2018. Eight years post-PhD, France had become somewhat decipherable for me.

Below is a recap of our activities during the programme which were memorable.