Exciting Meetings

I have been in meetings for the United Methodist Church a lot these past two weeks. Eight days in a row to be exact-with some travel in between. It was at times physically exhausting, at times emotionally draining, but also incredibly inspiring. Despite the ways in which meetings can bog us down, I feel so lucky because I feel that I saw the church at its very best this week.
These meetings were interlaced by some of the most beautiful and moving worship services. Wonderful daily reminders of why we were there; why we were listening to reports, drinking gallons of coffee, waking up early and going to bed late. That above all else we were there to serve God and the world through our work.
I witnessed our young people commit to having difficult conversations in a respectful manner that affirms the value of every individual. I saw those conversations begin. I had the opportunity to talk with the incredible leaders this church has produced. Those conversations fill me with such hope for our future as a church. With passionate young leaders like them, there is no limit to what this church can do.
I learned so very much about the incredible things we are doing for young people and women around the world. The opportunities we provide for spiritual growth, education, the work being done to advocate for changes to oppressive systems. More than that, I was so incredibly inspired by all that we can be and do in the next four years.
There is a lot of good in the church, and in the world. These last two weeks were a timely and wonderful reminder of that. A celebration of all that we have done and all that we can do. As I reflect on those past two weeks, I am reminded of Ephesians 3. Now to God who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, to God be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. I’m so grateful to be on this journey, to see first hand what God is doing in this world and I cannot wait for all of the exhausting but exciting meetings to come.