Finding Rest in the Snow

Last week, Boston received quite a bit of snow. Thursday classes were canceled and I was free to watch the snow pile-up outside. As I watched the snowflakes drift past my window, I felt a peace settle over me.

It has been a busy couple of weeks. Come Thursday morning I was feeling drained. Watching Netflix and eating ice cream, I began to realize just how much I needed this break. Without even realizing it, I had been desperately searching for this moment to pause, ignore responsibilities, and try to count the snowflakes. The snow day reminded me of the importance of finding and creating Sabbath moments.

Life moves fast here. It is easy to get caught up in day-to-day obligations. Yet, remaining human and whole necessitates consciously filling oneself up. While I appreciated the day off from class, I was most thankful for this reminder.

As the semester progresses and the weather changes, the probability of snow days will decrease. However, a Sabbath does not require snow. As I walk through these next few months, my goal is to continue to cultivate moments that recharge me- to find the moments of Sabbath in a fast paced world.

Nick Rodriguez posted on February 14, 2017 at 9:22 am

Amen! I get that, thank you 😀