[EXPERT PANEL + REPORT] Discussion on the Geopolitics of global high-tech standards with the Oxford Global Society (OXGS)

I was invited to speak on a panel with the Oxford Global Society (OXGS) around mid-August 2022 when I was preparing for the interview for the Schmidt Futures – Oxford University (Mansfield College) fellowship. Since my job interview with the Nissan Institute at Oxford University in the first pandemic year this was my second interaction with Oxford. (The SF-Oxford fellowship went to a different Schmidt Futures colleague…!)

The report of the discussion was published by OXGS and can be found here:

If you are interested in 5G/6G and telecommunications standard setting and the meaning of its geopolitics, you can watch the entire webinar held on September 12, 2022 here:

My comments for this webinar were essentially on the South Korean experience regarding the launch of 5G nationwide and standard setting at OpenRan Alliance, amidst the ongoing tech competition. I participated from Abu Dhabi in the UAE while on a research talk trip to NYU Abu Dhabi, and the background you see is the office of Professor Sophia Kalantzakos, who has graciously offered her office to me while I am on travel.

(Thank you, Sophia!)