Reflecting on BILI

Tuesday night I attended my first Boston Interfaith Leadership Initiative meeting. I was really moved by each section of the evening.

Sometimes being in college can be oddly stifling. There will be periods, usually around midterms, when the aura of the campus feels dark and drab. There will be waves of complaints and jabs made at the University, especially on social media. There is an absurd number of students who hate on our institution and criticize the validity of testing (i.e. exams and papers). An old saying my mom always told me was, “misery loves company.” I hear this in my head whenever I am surrounded by this kind of negative energy. It can be hard to remain headstrong in a community that feels ungrateful and angry when I am someone who feels so blessed to be here.

Which is why I can’t say enough good things about my experience at BILI. I feel so lucky to be a part of a cohort of young people who are all passionate about using their educational position as a launching point for making a difference. I felt rejuvenated and reinvigorated after the meeting. It reminded me that there are still people who want to actively tackle issues rather than passively complain. I was impressed by everyone’s contributions to our discussions and moved throughout the evening to think deeply about what I want to do with my career.

I was especially struck by two individuals who identified as interfaith because they felt called to more than one religion. This was something I had never heard before and something I am interested in pursuing more in my personal spiritual journey.

Secondly, I was intrigued by the term “social entrepreneurship,” which I had never heard before. The idea being that social/cultural change can be achieved through traditional entrepreneurship techniques and models. This got me thinking back to Soren’s suggestion that I ponder a “non-traditional vocational identity.” In light of my recent interests in business oriented and administrative work with the Miller Center, this concept struck a chord in me. I have felt confused and lost about what I want “to do” after I graduate. Now I wonder if what I want to do is on the path I am already on.

All in all, BILI left me wondering and questioning my purpose and passions in this life. When someone or something has the power to inspire such thought, I am greatly humbled. So I want to extend thanks to Soren, Marsh Chapel, and the Miller Center for giving me so many opportunities for growth in such a short amount of time. I have been consistently pleased about weeks past and excited about weeks to come this semester thanks to the aforementioned.

nedyasin posted on August 20, 2023 at 10:51 am

Of course, complaining on social networks is not something that can be defended…