Valentines Day in Japan

In America, men give flowers or a present to women on Valentines Day. In Japan, women give chocolate or a present to men, family, or friends. Then on March 14th, men give a present as a return gift to women: we call this White day! This is quite an interesting cultural difference, right?

america calentine
http://efk.blog113.fc2.com

I would like to introduce you to Japanese Valentines day.
As you know, February 14th is Valentines Day. In Japan, February is the most important month for snack companies, especially in the chocolate section. They sell one third of their chocolate during the Valentines Day season!

valentine
http://navistation01.com/4207.html

Why does everyone give chocolate on Valentines Day?
There are several theories on why you give chocolate on Valentines Day. Most people think that it was because many companies started advertising women giving chocolates to men for Valentines Day.  According to the website …, this happened in 1975, and the practice of women giving chocolate to men was established.

February is an important month for girls to brag about their cooking skills. When I was in high school, I received more than 100 Tomo-choco (see below) in three years from my friends. They all are really skillful in cooking. Every year, I learned recipes from my mother and made them until midnight. They were unforgettable memories for me!

Glossary for Valentines Day

Honmei-choco
本命チョコ

Girls give this Honmei-choco to their boyfriend, or to a boy they want to tell that she likes him.

ホワイトデー お返し 義理チョコ2

Giri-choco
義理チョコ

Girls give a Giri-choco to a boy they are friends with.

友チョコ

Tomo-choco
友チョコ

Girls give chocolates or cookies to friends.
It does not matter if the friend is a boy or a girl. You can give this to whomever you want.

“Choco” Photos from the following sites, in order of appearance

• plaza.rakuten.co.jp/annnemarie/diary/201302140000/
  • whitedayokaeshi.web.fc2.com/
  • matome.naver.jp/odai/2142277600187319901/2142283316043839903