The Perkins School for the Blind

by Osaid Mirza

I never thought about how the blind live or study. Moreover, I didn’t even know that there are people who are both deaf and blind. The Perkins School for the Blind started out to be only for the blind, but it has become a place for all students with blindness and other disabilities. When I visited the Perkins school I noticed that there were so many differences between the Perkins school and what I’m used to.

The Perkins school has been designed to be much easier for the blind. For instance, the roads around the buildings are flat, there are fewer stairs, and in addition to braille, there are symbols and raised lines on the walls and ground to guide the blind to their classes.

In their teaching style, Perkins has created their own way of teaching by using objects (practical education). Especially in science, there are so many samples to feel. But in a sighted school, they commonly use visual means of education. A general curriculum is being used in sighted schools, while an individualized curriculum is being used in the Perkins school.

Perkins has difficult goals to achieve because they deal with so many different disabilities, and they have to help each one of the students develop independence. The school wants students to be as independent as possible by the time they graduate.

In conclusion, what I have seen at Perkins was so amazing. I learned so much about how the school trains blind students to be independent. What is more amazing is that they had some great examples of students who were known internationally, like Helen Keller, and Laura Bridgman, and many more. I can’t describe it much more. You should go there and visit it yourself. It is amazing!*

*The location of the Perkins school is: 175 N Beacon Street, Watertown, MA 02472