The 3 Questions I Get Asked at Every Admissions Event

By Catherine Devlin (CAS’22)

As a Kilachand Ambassador, I’m always impressed by the unique perspectives that each class of newly admitted students brings. Yet, despite the individuality of each new student and class, there are certain questions that remain consistent across years and admission events.  So, to close these matters once and for all, here are the answers to the 3 things that get asked at every BU admissions event:

Q1: How does BU not having a campus affect student life?

A1: This question always manifests in a vaguely passive aggressive form. We never seem to be asked to “discuss BU’s campus” in a general sense, but are instead called to account for what is framed as an obvious deficit. I completely understand the question. When I was looking at colleges, even once I realized that BU was the best choice for me, I still needed a moment to mourn the leafy oaks and grassy quads that had graced so many admissions pamphlets (and my subsequent dreams). Upon attending BU, however, I realized that the assumption that our school does not have a campus is not an accurate one. Practically every building on Comm Ave between Yawkey and West is a BU building, and when you walk down the street the air is alive with the energy of students hurrying to class, laughing with their friends, and earnestly discussing research plans with their professors. For a more picturesque walk, take Bay State Road instead, and enjoy the tranquility of trees in bloom and historic brownstones. The BU community is vividly apparent and accessible on BU’s campus, so much so that some of my fellow ambassadors have written their blogs on how to break out of the BU bubble! If you are worried about getting lost in Boston and not having a community to anchor you as a freshman, let go of that worry. BU might not have the traditional campus layout, but it definitely has a campus community. And that community is as strong and beautiful as any oak tree.

Q2: What is the Hub?

A2: As the first class to have gone through the Hub, I remember the vast number of information sessions and panels dedicated to explaining the system during Admitted Students’ Day and orientation. I also remember that, after all that, I still had no idea how to navigate the program. Now that I am planning courses for my senior year, I feel that I finally have a grasp on the Hub. Mostly. In the simplest terms, the Hub is BU’s gen-ed requirements. In order to allow students more room to explore different skills and topics, Hub requirements extend beyond specific course categorizations. For instance instead of having a history class requirement, you need to take a class that helps develop your “historical consciousness.” Some of the Hub requirements are more catered towards soft skills, such as “creativity and innovation” or “oral and signed communication.” But don’t let the fancy wording scare you! Kilachand will take care of most of your requirements, and the Kilachand advisors are great at helping you figure out how to fulfill those that are left over. Hub units can be earned through classes in your major and minor as well as electives and some AP classes, so there are a lot of ways to get it done and to explore a lot of different subjects while doing so!

Q3: Did you choose to be assigned a random roommate or did you request someone?

A3: This seems like a very specific and somewhat random question, but let me tell you I ALWAYS get asked this. I’ve found that when accepted students aren’t standing next to their parents, the questions tend to be more on the personal/social side than the strictly academic side. I think this is great! When a student asks questions about life at BU, I know that they are really trying to visualize themselves coming here, which is so important when choosing a school. To answer the question: I went random and it worked out really well for me, but I know people who chose and had great experiences as well (and of course less fortunate experiences for both random and choosing). It all comes down to your own preferences and what you feel most comfortable with. But the bigger reason I chose to share this question is because I want to encourage you to ask seemingly small questions like this! You are already into BU, so you don’t need to use admissions events to prove how smart you are (we already know that!). Take this time to ask things that are genuinely weighing on your mind, no matter how mundane they may appear. It will make your freshman year that much easier and more fun!

So there you have it! Those are the three most commonly asked questions, but there are lots more that come up frequently. To make sure you hear the answers to all of the most relevant admissions questions, and to have the chance to ask your own, connect with a KHC Ambassador, or attend one of our open house events! I can’t wait to see you on Bay State.