Once a month BU’s own Karen Jacobs EdD, OTR/L, CPE, FATOTA hosts the Sargent Choice Test Kitchen-East at the Hillel House Dining Hall on Bay State Road. In addition to featuring Sargent Choice-approved recipes, all foods made are Kosher. All are welcome to come cook, eat, learn, and engage with other students. We hope to see you next year!
With just one-month left of school, everyone is looking for ways to have more fun before the rush of finals studying begins. On Thursday night, April 11th, over 25 students gathered at the Hillel House on Bay State Road to cook, learn, have fun, and eat at the Karen Jacob’s Sargent Choice Test Kitchen East Campus Edition. This test kitchen was the Third and final east campus test kitchen of the semester. We gathered together to make a Sargent Choice Test Kitchen favorite: Fudgy Black Bean Brownies.
“How can brownies be Sargent Choice approved?” was the question circulating in the air. Well, the answer to that question lies in the recipe. The recipe, originally taken from the Meal Makeovers Moms’ book No Whine With Dinner, uses ground up black beans in the recipe. This recipe calls for less sugar than a classic brownie recipe, no butter, and just a little bit of canola oil. The black beans also provide some protein and fiber for a filling and enjoyable dessert that you don’t need to feel guilty about.
Because this test kitchen takes place in the industrial kitchen at the Hillel House, we had the chance to use an industrial size and strength food processor, which was very fun. We also used an industrial size oven, which reduced the baking time of the brownies from 30-35 minutes to about 17 minutes. Throughout this semester, we have had a lot of fun using industrial sized equipment and adjusting the recipes for it. It was challenging at times, but we all worked together and ended with a delicious final product at each test kitchen. The brownies from this week came out fudgy, gooey, and delicious. The brownies were enjoyed by all! The East Campus Test Kitchen is over for the year, but look out for dates for next semester!
Fudgy Black Bean Brownies
Recipe from Meal Makeover Mom’s book, No Whine with Dinner
Yield: 16 2-inch brownies
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup granulated suga
- r½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ½ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch
- Place the black beans in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, oil, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, peppermint extract (if desired), baking powder, and salt and process until smooth. Add ¼ cup of the chips and pulse a few times until the chips are incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before slicing into 2-inch squares.
Nutrition Facts for 1 Serving
Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 18 g
Fiber 2 g