Lisa Hiton publishes poetry chapbook

Lisa Hiton’s chapbovariation-on-testimony-croppedok, Variation on Testimony, has recently been published by Cutbank!  The manuscript was a finalist for the 2016 Cutbank Chapbook Contest.  You can click here to order a copy.

On her new chapbook, Lisa says, “When a poet sits down every few years to put poems in an order, new themes and ideas arise from the order itself. Variation on Testimony contains poems that, when gathered together, question narrative authority, especially in the face of violence—about who performs violence and whose body receives violence. From putting this chapbook together, I learned a lot about how my practice as a filmmaker informs this specific collection of poems and the role of fictive spectacle in my understanding of America as I endured my twenties. I’m especially grateful to the brilliant artist, Hernan Marin, who made the art for the cover of this book. His aptitude with breaking a whiteness by using shadow instead of light frames the speaker and speakers in these pages with the profoundly overbearing sense of transience present in our inner lives.”

Thanks so much for sharing this, Lisa, and congratulations!

Lisa Hiton holds an M.F.A. in poetry from Boston University and an M.Ed. in Arts in Education from Harvard University. Her poems have been published or are forthcoming in New SouthLinebreak, The Paris-American, Hayden’s Ferry Review, and LAMBDA Literary among others.  Her chapbook, Variation on Testimony, is out now from CutBank Literary. She is the interviews editor of Cosmonauts Avenue and the poetry editor for The Adroit Journal.