Rebecca Levi wins Mick Imlah award

RebeccaLeviWe’re so proud of Rebecca Levi (Poetry ’18) who recently won third place in the Mick Imlah Poetry Prize!  The winning poem is called “December 31st” and was published in The Times Literary Supplement.

Rebecca says:

The thing about living in Colombia is that poems happen to you all the time. On December 31, 2017, they really did slaughter five pigs outside the apartment where I was staying, and the trash truck rounded the corner, and there was drama on my WhatsApp. All I had to do was write it down. It came out almost fully formed, and I trusted the strange stream of my consciousness.

Read “December 31st” here.

Congratulations, Rebecca!

Rebecca Levi is a musician, poet, and translator. She has lived and worked in Peru, Colombia, and the U.S. Her poetry has appeared in BorderSenses and No Tokens Journal, and her translations have been published by Princeton University Press. Her translations of Chilean poet Stella Díaz Varin won second place in Boston University’s Robert Fitzgerald Translation Prize and are forthcoming in Your Impossible Voice. If You’re Not Happy Now, an anthology of work by BU’s MFA poetry class of 2018, is forthcoming from Broadstone Books in Spring 2019. In December 2018, Rebecca won third place in the Mick Imlah Poetry Prize at the Times Literary Supplement for her poem, “December 31st.” Rebecca’s band is called Debarro, meaning made of mud and ever-changing, which also describes what she likes about poetry.