Aaron Caycedo-Kimura publishes three poems

Wonderful news from one of our current poetry MFA’s, Aaron Caycedo-Kimura, who has three poems forthcoming this fall!  Aaron was a semi-finalist in the 2019 Crab Creek Review Poetry Prize contest with two poems, “Artificial Flavors” and “Memorial.”  They will be published in the Fall 2019 issue of Crab Creek Review. In addition, Aaron’s ekphrastic ghazal “Sun in an Empty Room, 1963” will be published in the Summer/Fall 2019 issue of Think: A Journal of Poetry, Fiction, and Essays.

Aaron had this to say about the poems:

AaronHeadshot

I’ve written a lot about my parents since they passed away—my father in 2011 and my mother in 2015. In doing so, I continue to honor them and keep their memory alive in my life. “Artificial Flavors” is based on a childhood memory at the salon where my mother used to get her hair done, and “Sun in an Empty Room, 1963” (an ekphrastic ghazal) is about my last walkthrough of her empty house before I sold it. “Memorial” is about my father and his college friend who tried to connect with him after he died.

Thank you, Aaron, for sharing your work with us.  What a beautiful way to honor your parents.  We look forward to seeing these poems in print.  Congratulations!

Aaron Caycedo-Kimura is a poet, painter, and cartoonist. His poetry appears or is forthcoming in Poet Lore, DMQ Review, Crab Creek Review, Naugatuck River Review, Off the Coast, Connecticut River Review, Gravel, Crack the Spine, Rust + Moth, Tule Review, and elsewhere. He is also the author and illustrator of Text, Don’t Call: An Illustrated Guide to the Introverted Life, published by TarcherPerigee. Aaron is currently an MFA candidate in the creative writing program at Boston University.