“Lazy Cakes” Relaxation Snack

By Elizabeth Jarrard, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

If you haven’t been perusing the counter of your local convenience store, you may have missed “Lazy Cakes” brownies. Yep, right next to the Red Bull Shots, and 5 Hour Energy, we can now find products that claim to do the exact opposite-“chill” everyone out. The NYTimes drew everyone’s attention to these Relaxation Snacks. The brownies, which are made with melatonin (and likely other questionable ingredients), are labeled “not for food use” so that they can be sold as a dietary supplement. Companies are hiding a synthetic ingredient-melatonin-in a baked treat, to make it “go down easier.” They warn “not for children”, and against operating heavy machinery while eating them. One thing they forgot to add is that if you are a young female taking birth control, there is a hormonal effect that can cause the body to store too much melatonin. And don’t get me started on the calorie, fat, sugar, and overall junk ingredients in the product.

lazy_brownies_1

Image Source

“It’s making it much more difficult for the consumer to recognize that they are taking a drug,” said Dr. Charles A. Czeisler, the chief of the division of sleep medicine at Harvard’s Brigham and Women’s
Hospital.“A hangover effect has been reported” with large doses, said Anna Rouse Dulaney, a toxicologist
with the Carolinas Poison Center.

Hiding drugs and supplements in food is not healthy. The brownies warn that they are not suitable for children and you should avoid operating heavy machinery. Yes, we live in a very caffeinated and on-the-go world. But what if we took a little bit of time to get a little good-old relaxation before trying to get a little shut eye? Turning off all electronic devices, dimming the lights and putting on some soothing music. This is definitely a better option than knocking yourself out with a “relaxation” brownie.

Would you buy a relaxation snack?

Jay Spoon posted on January 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Michele Mander posted on November 18, 2012 at 11:19 am

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this excellent blog! I suppose for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to new updates and will share this website with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

Ecy Stack Results posted on January 17, 2013 at 11:39 pm

Wonderful post but I was wondering if you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Appreciate it!

Eloisa Peavy posted on August 7, 2013 at 5:06 am

You are so awesome! I don’t believe I have read through something like that before. So great to discover someone with some original thoughts on this topic. Seriously.. many thanks for starting this up. This web site is one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with a bit of originality!