Flavorful Way to Eat Your Broccoli

By Kelli Swensen, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

broccoli

“Eat your broccoli”
I’m sure many of you heard this command sometime during your childhood. As a kid, broccoli was never associated with something good; rather, it was the fee you had to pay in order to get a cookie after dinner. While some people grow to like the addition of broccoli in their meals, many continue to avoid it due to its bitter taste. Well we here at the Sargent Choice Nutrition Center have good news for you: broccoli can taste good, really good.

One of  Laura Judd’s previous students, Katy Whistler, emailed Laura about a broccoli recipe that even the strongest broccoli avoiders will like. Found on the Amateur Gourmet blog, Katy describes “The Best Broccoli of Your Life” recipe as being “amazing enough to email an old professor, amazing.” A self-proclaimed “broccoli abstainer and general vegetable avoider,” Katy even mentions that she didn’t need to re-olive oil or add parmesan cheese as the recipe instructs. She found that just the addition of lemon juice and roasting the broccoli were enough to make the dish a winner.

Head on over to the original post HERE for the recipe!

Picture from Original Source

Picture from Original Source

Have a favorite way to prepare broccoli or other vegetables? We’d love to hear them! Leave us a comment below, you may even inspire a new Sargent Choice recipe!

DextroFit posted on December 27, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Thanks for the post. I’m glad someone other than me thinks brocolli can taste good, I was beginning to feel like fighting a losing battle! 🙂

cure gout posted on January 4, 2012 at 4:57 am

I am extremely impressed with your brocolli tips,
keep up the nice quality writing,
Thanks you helped me alot, your blog is extremely informative.
Appreciate the information, continue the great work.
check out this how to cure gout naturally review.
how to cure gout naturally http://www.goodforyou.biz/cure-gout.html

Monster Beats Headphones Cheap posted on January 9, 2012 at 2:45 am

I feel this is among the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But wanna commentary on some common things, The website taste is perfect, the articles is in reality nice. Good process, Cheers!

roliboat posted on January 11, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Broccoli is probably one of my favorite vegetables. Usually when I’m hungry in the weird afternoon hours of 3 or 4 after my classes, i make a quick little and healthy veggie snack- steamed broccoli with soy sauce and lime.
I usually put a handful of frozen broccoli in a bowl . I use the frozen stuff since it’s pretty cheap (about a dollar a bag from Shaws) and it can be stored in my dormroom microfridge for a while. Then I wet a paper towel, squeeze out the excess water and place it over the bowl. Then I put the bowl in the microwave and set the timer for 3-4 minutes. This is kinda my makeshift way of steaming brocolli… Once it’s hot and steamed, I add about a tsp of low sodium soy sauce and a spritz of lime. The product is a tangy and tasty broccolli snack! 😀

Suzette posted on March 16, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I am quite certain I will learn lots of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

distillery equipment posted on July 27, 2022 at 3:14 am

Good article