A Peach Recipe Worth Repeating

By Kelli Swensen, Dietetics Student, Sargent College

I hope move in weekend wasn’t too stressful!

Last year we posted about a turnip with a strange name: kohlrabi. That post also included an insanely easy and delicious peach recipe. I couldn’t help myself and had to re-post it here, so if you didn’t get around to making grilled peaches last year, do your taste buds a favor and do it tonight!

Last Week’s Box:

• 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
  • 1 Kohlrabi
  • 1 bunch Radishes
  • 2 lbs. Tomatoes
  • 1 lb. Potatoes
  • 8 ears Corn
  • 1 bunch Mustard Greens
  • 12 Jalapeño Peppers

What on earth is a kohlrabi?! I did some researching and found out that a kohlrabi is part of the turnip family and is often categorized as a cabbage turnip. They’re quite small and are typically light green in color, but you can sometimes find the purple variety (which is supposed to be slightly sweeter than the green). Many websites describe them as tasting similar to broccoli or cabbage. Nutritionally, they are high in fiber and potassium and are a good source of calcium, folic acid, and vitamins A and C. So how do you eat them? Although I haven’t tried them myself, asking around I found that people eat them both raw and cooked. If eating raw, as with all fruits and vegetables, be sure to wash thoroughly. To cook them, simply wash, dice, and roast.

Coming from Colorado where the end of August is peach season, peaches hold a special place in my heart and no summer is complete without them. My favorite way to enjoy fresh peaches is to roast them on a grill. Although grilling peaches takes more time, the outcome is totally worth it! The flavor of a grilled peach is unbeatable and makes any salad scream summer! Not in the mood for a salad, I recently took my grilled peach slices and put them in my homemade Sargent Choice parfait in place of the usual berries. Completely delicious! I love the original parfait, but it’s going to be hard to settle for berries after having grilled peaches version!

Grilled Peaches
4 Peaches
2 T melted butter (I found i only needed half the amount)

1. Heat grill to medium-low (Don’t have a grill? Try using a George Forman instead!)
2. Halve and pit the peaches; brush cut sides with butter
3. Place peaches cut-side down on grill. Cover grill and cook until charred and softened; about 4-5min

nando@lip cancer posted on September 5, 2012 at 3:55 pm

grilled dish in the end of summer is really good fit. with this recipe, I can say goodbye to summer happyly 🙂

French Toast posted on October 13, 2012 at 1:15 am

This a very good & unique idea l like your post. thanks to sharing nice post.

distillery equipment posted on July 27, 2022 at 2:32 am

Good article