New Years Resolutions?

By Elizabeth Jarrard MS, RD

Oh January 1st—the day when everyone swears to lose 5 lbs by January 5th, when gyms across the nation become suddenly jam-packed, and your best friend is swearing off chocolate. When was the last time you saw these New Years Resolutions followed through to September? Perhaps it’s because most of us do not plan well enough, and fail to set good goals. So this year, let’s shift our talk from resolution-making to goal-setting!

To make positive change this year, create small achievable goals that focus on the positive.

• Brainstorm. What do you want? And Why? Clearly defining these two things will give you a strong start to causing change.
  • Start with a simple plan. Make it specific, and achievable. How can you realistically get from point a to point b?
  • Accentuate the positive: Avoid “I will not.” Instead use “I am”. Replace “I should”, with “I will.” Example: Instead of “I will not eat chocolate” try “I will make sure to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day.” “Instead of “I should work out everyday” use “I will be active to stay healthy and happy, and give my body the rest it deserves.”
  • Make it visible for accountability. Share it with your best friend, your mom, on Facebook, on Twitter, or on your blog. Letting others know will help you stick to your goal.
  • Take steps. Goals aren’t all or nothing philosophies. Make small, gradual steps to reach your goal.  Remember that slipping on rigid goals isn’t always a bad thing, and should be considered an opportunity to grow and learn. It is important to revaluate your goals throughout the year to see what may be preventing you from reaching them, and whether they are still helping you create the life you desire.
  • Stay Focused– Reflect and evaluate how your progress has gone. Goals can always shift. Acknowledge what you are doing well! This will foster hope and motivation to continue doing great!

At the start of the new year I like to create a Vision Board. I bring together a lot of images and words that inspire me, and create a board that outlines some of the goals I would like to accomplish in the new year

My vision board

If you don’t want to commit to an entire board, write an affirmation card. Write something you would like to change in the New year, and keep it somewhere where you can look at it and be reminded for the reasons to change.

Everyone likes instant gratification, but success takes work, and planning, and long term goals make that possible.

“Remember: You have the power within you to create the life you love. Be gentle with yourself. You are worth every desire.”
-Lori Shemek

What are your goals for 2013? Do you use January 1st to reflect and set goals?

16 Comments

Aneesha Rana posted on July 19, 2022 at 3:39 am

I know this is an amazing post, it defines the true value of your knowledge. In fact, running a business is not common. People keep running to drive more business and generate more customers. At LBM Blockchain Solutions which is best Blockchain development company in Egypt , you can maintain a leading position I really think this article is amazing, I can’t describe it in words. Also, if you need any blockchain development services, , do not delay in shaking hands with Best Blockchain Development Company in Egypt

distillery equipment posted on July 27, 2022 at 2:16 am

Good article

rahandaahumailo244 posted on July 30, 2022 at 4:32 am

This is one of the best post, I do have lot of New Year’s Resolutions to Try for 2022, and one of the most important is New Year’s travel resolution, If you want to get the most out of your family travels, try out this website to travel resolutions. They’ve provided the express visa to Dubai, UAE, Australia, Malaysia, USA, Oman, Saudi Arabia and more from India. For the Indians you can visit here and check their packages for your travel. and they will get you that little bit closer to your family travel goals. If anything, they’re a bit more exciting than cutting calories https://www.travellshop.in/global-visas/uk-visa-from-india

kausaertraseffg34 posted on August 25, 2022 at 7:13 am

This kind of research is what I would like to see now since it will make everyone aware of the issue and help them get prepared to maintain their distance from those who are already suffering. In basically, I’m a travel freak that spends the majority of my time traveling the UK. I used travellshop.in to apply for my visa for the UAE and Oman; although they are a travel agency, they always care about their customers and the general public’s health, especially by providing education on the Omicron virus and how to protect themselves.

Rupesh posted on August 25, 2022 at 7:19 am

I think we need more of this kind of study right now because it will raise awareness of the problem and provide people with the tools they need to keep their distance from others who are already suffering. I guess you could say I’m a travel freak that spends most of his time exploring the UK. Even though they are a travel agency, travellshop.in cares about their clients’ and the public’s health, especially by educating people on the Omicron virus and how to protect themselves. I used them to apply for my visa for the UAE and Oman. https://www.travellshop.in/global-visas/uk-visa-from-india

rupalikatun077 posted on September 14, 2022 at 12:31 am

Thank you for sharing this information. I just wanted to let you know that I checked out your website and that I thought it was extremely fascinating and educational. https://www.ctrlservers.com/

rakidewhassanew274 posted on September 14, 2022 at 5:17 am

Really excellent and helpful information. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful information; I found it to be quite helpful. https://www.praptihost.com/

medewahassahe1 posted on September 15, 2022 at 1:40 am

I appreciate you giving this knowledge. I just wanted to let you know that I visited your website and found it to be very interesting and instructive. https://www.prahost.com/

sakidewhassanew00 posted on September 27, 2022 at 8:02 am

I do have several New Year’s resolutions to try for 2023,
and this is one of the best posts I’ve ever seen.. in this new year, if you looking to upgrade your car with factory radio car play, radar detectors or apple car play you can check our website and get valuable services from us. https://www.houstoncarstereo.com/

All Decoration posted on September 28, 2022 at 7:09 am

All Decoration provides best Balloon decoration Chandigarh for Anniversary Celebration, Birthday Balloon decoration and for many other occasion.

Devajyoti Yesh posted on October 10, 2022 at 7:43 am

Now is the moment for this kind of research, as it will raise awareness of the problem and support people in preparing to keep their distance from individuals who are already suffering. I’m a travel freak who mostly spends his or her time exploring the UK. I used travellshop.in to apply for my visa for the UAE and Oman because, while being just a travel agency, they are always concerned with their customers’ and the public’s health, especially by giving data on the Omicron virus and how to stay safe. https://www.travellshop.in/global-visas/uk-visa-from-india

jurnaleson558 posted on October 31, 2022 at 5:49 am

Hello, I am sakidewhassanew. You say is very important for everyone. We should always create small achievable goals. It will focus on our positives. Yes, basically I decided to start my dream business. I found flatfee.io to design my business products. They provide directories in graphic design countless services. This sharing was very helpful for me. https://www.zupyak.com/p/3305157/t/common-website-design-blunders

arovefancy449 posted on November 4, 2022 at 2:38 am

This is one of the nicest posts I’ve ever seen, and I do have a few New Year’s resolutions to try for 2023. If you want to enhance your car in the new year with factory radio car play, radar detectors, or apple car play, visit our website and take advantage of our beneficial services. https://theonionhost.com/

JohnRuff55 posted on November 10, 2022 at 6:42 am

I appreciate you sharing this helpful and enlightening information. I appreciate your efforts, and your knowledge is excellent.

alsonjaceya157 posted on November 22, 2022 at 12:49 am

This is one of the nicest posts I’ve ever seen, and I do have a few New Year’s resolutions to try for 2023. If you want to enhance your car in the New Year with factory radio car play, radar detectors, or apple car play, visit our website and take advantage of our beneficial services. houstoncarstereo

alaxvinco68 posted on November 24, 2022 at 12:56 am

The moment has arrived for this type of research because it will raise awareness of the issue and assist individuals in preparing to avoid being near those who are already suffering. I am a frequent traveller who primarily visits the United Kingdom. I chose https://www.travellshop.in/ to apply for my visa to the UAE and Oman because, even after being just a travel agency, they are always concerned with the health of their customers and the general public, particularly by providing information on the Omicron virus and how to stay safe.

One Trackback

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Sargent Choice, Sargent Choice. Sargent Choice said: Do you set new years resolutions? What positive changes are you hoping to make this year? http://ow.ly/3zlEz […]