Kate: Easy Weekend Getaways

Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Boston.  It really is such a magical place and there is always somewhere new to find and explore.  But sometimes, it really is nice to get out of the hustle and bustle for a weekend.  One of the fantastic things about being in a place like Boston is how easy it is to get to other cities and states near by.  The Amtrak trains, Commuter Rail, and variety of bus routes can take you almost anywhere you want to go in the Northeast and down the east coast.  The past two weekends, I have had the opportunity to get out and explore new places and it has been so much fun!  Here is my rundown of the best areas to head to when you need a little change of scenery.

Rhode Island. In my opinion, Rhode Island is such a forgotten state! I might be a little biased because my boyfriend goes to school down there so I’ve spent a lot of time in The Ocean State but I promise it’s a great time.  You can be in Providence in about an hour by Commuter Rail and explore Thayer Street and experience the WaterFire Festival in the fall.  My favorite area is southern RI, home to Newport and Narragansett.  It can be so refreshing to take stroll on the beach or down a little town’s Main Street.  Trust me, it’s worth it.

Maine. My new favorite place right here, ladies and gentlemen.  I had the pleasure of spending last weekend in Bar Harbor, about half way up the coast.  It was incredible.  The town is perfect and easy to explore on foot.  The actual Harbor and Gulf of Maine are gorgeous and so much fun to explore by boat (I took a Lobster Fishing tour AND kayaked, both recommended).  And last but not least, Acadia National Park is right there and waiting for you.  Fun fact: Cadillac Mountain in the park in the first place in the US where the sun rises and has a gorgeous view of the Ocean.  Unfortunately for us, with the government shutdown, we couldn’t get to the park but that didn’t stop me from doing a little exploring, sorry Congress.  The only con – you do have to drive to get up there.

North Shore. While everyone raves about the Cape and Nantucket, I’ve actually spent much more time on the North Shore near Boston and it’s fabulous! The beaches are so beautiful and there are tons of great restaurants right on the water.  Gloucester and Newburyport are favorites of mine and all easily accessible by Commuter Rail trains!

New York City. Okay, so maybe this isn’t where you want to go to escape the hustle and bustle but still a fun weekend trip.  Bus, train, and plane can all get you down to the Big Apple in a few hours or less and set you up for a crazy fun weekend of exploring.  After spending my summer there, I’m itching to get back.

DC. You may think DC is so far away but there are Amtrak trains that leave from Boston all the time that can get you down there!  While you wouldn’t want to go now (#Shutdown), it can always be kept in mind as a great little getaway for a long weekend.  Just as historic as Boston, there are endless activities that are sure to bring out the history buff in all of us.

With the long weekend coming up, it may be the perfect time to pack up your weekend bag and head somewhere new with your friends!