Tom: A Theater-Filled Fall

Hi all! We are about half way through the semester and midterms are just starting to settle down in COM, so I’ve started to set my sights on my extracurricular activities. My biggest extracurricular activity is my on-campus theater commitment. I am the President of On Broadway, which is the premier musical theater organization at Boston University. The greatest part of On Broadway is that the entire club is completely student-run, which means students run every single part of the process of putting up a show. This semester, I’ve had the opportunity to work on three different shows:

1)     The Drowsy Chaperone – Assistant Lighting Designer

My first show of the semester which just launched last weekend was The Drowsy Chaperone in which I tried my hand at lighting for the first time. As Assistant Lighting Designer, I got the opportunity to learn the light board, program cues, focus the lights on the stage, and choosing which cool lighting effects go from scene to scene. Since The Drowsy Chaperone went up in the amazing Tsai Performance Center on campus, we were able to do limitless lighting effects that created an amazing show.

2)     How to Succeed in Business – Ensemble

For my second show of the semester, I will be headed to the stage to act in the ensemble of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. The show has been an absolute blast to be in the ensemble of, especially since I get to play a variety of bit parts, ranging from nerdy business man to an energetic 60’s game show host. I am also getting a workout with the number of dance numbers in the show (this show may turn me into a dancer, who knows?)

3)     Fire & Rain: An Original James Taylor Showcase – Producer

I am trying my hand at producing again, but this time for a student-developed showcase. Fire & Rain is a completely student created collection of James Taylor songs arranged to fit numerous different musical styles. Producing is one of my favorite parts of the theater because I am involved in the advertising and budget management regarding the production. This is my fourth shot at Producing with On Broadway, and I’ve enjoyed the chance to work on a student developed piece!

My semester thus far has certainly been theater filled, but filled with all of the things I enjoy. On Broadway has been an amazing outlet for the past four years to fulfill my theater pursuits and I am very happy to have found such a great home on campus. If you are interested in theater as a hobby, BU is definitely the right place to be.