Sara: Making Time to Move to a Foreign Country

So you just successfully completed your first registration here at BU. Congratulations! Everyone deserves a pat on the back and a piece of chocolate for handling that battle with grace. Chances are, you now have a better understanding of how to tackle your requirements which makes now a better time than any to talk about studying abroad!

As someone who came into BU trying to catch up on requirements from day one (#transferproblems) I can vouch for how challenging it can be to fit in a semester abroad. And after all, there are so many opportunities to take advantage of here, why go anywhere else right? Wrong!

This is one thing the lovely people at COM student services can help you with! They are magicians when it comes to schedule planning and they can surely help you figure out how to fit studying abroad into your time here at BU. Maybe one semester you’ll overload on credits, or maybe you’re already ahead because of all those AP credits you came in with. Sometimes it helps when there is someone else there to lay it all out for you and you find out there really is plenty of time to study abroad. There are also some opportunities, depending on the program you’re interested in, that will help you tackle your requirements. I could not be more excited about studying abroad in London this spring and I will even be able to take a class to fulfill my final social science requirement that includes a trip to Brussels! If that isn’t enticing I don’t know what is.

If you’re still not convinced, why not attend one of the Study Abroad 101 info sessions? They take place every Wednesday at 3pm in the BU Study Abroad office (888 Commonwealth Avenue.) They can help give you a better overview about the programs BU offers and answer any questions you might have.

Making the time to move to a foreign country can be intimidating. You don’t know the culture and you might not even know the language but the experiences you take away from studying abroad will be invaluable. You get to learn a lot about yourself in the process and maybe you’ll even consider moving abroad after graduation.  Who knows what you’ll discover and I know I can’t wait for my own journey across the pond.

Stay tuned for my blog posts from London! Cheers!