Alex: A Californian’s Guide to Winter

As someone who had always lived in sunny Southern California and had never experienced a winter that dropped below 50 degrees during the day, my first winter in Boston last year definitely came as a shock. As I reflect back on my freshman year winter, I think of some of the many mistakes I made the first time around and how to beat winter this year.

Here are the 5 things I wish I had known for my first real winter:

1. Your toes don’t have to be/should not feel frozen
    I wish I had known that while you MIGHT be able to survive winter with just Hunter rain boots and a couple pairs of thin socks, it doesn’t mean you should! Snow boots aren’t always necessary but some thicker socks would have definitely decreased my worries of losing toes to hypothermia.
  2. Don’t be afraid to dress like the little brother from A Christmas Story
    If you’re like me and have a low tolerance for cold temperatures, it’s better to look like a giant marshmallow than to be miserable and freezing. If layers upon layers makes for an easier walk to class than I’m all for it!

3.      Watch your step.
This is a direct reference to the slippery metal death traps on the BU Bridge.

4.      Fleece-lined _____.
Fleece-lined tights, fleece-lined gloves, fleece-lined hats, fleece-lined flannels….the possibilities are endless! These are real game changers.

5.      Don’t spend your entire semester indoors.
Some spots in Boston look the best with a layer of snow. You go to school in one of the most beautiful cities in the world so bundle up and go explore it.