Kate W: Reflection on Freshman Year

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I am officially approaching the end of my Freshman year of college.  I feel like a completely new person from when I started and I have learned so much over the last eight months.

Freshman year is the year of new.  New city, new college, new friends, new classes, new independence, new everything.  Nothing hits you harder than watching your parents leave you alone for the first time, knowing that you are officially on your own.  But, you keep going, as overwhelmed and anxious as you are.  It’s crazy to think that this moment happened eight months ago for me, and in a couple months, a new group of students will go through the same thing.

With time going as fast as it does, graduation will be here before you know it.  But, until then, it is important to take risks and spend as much time as you can to experience everything.  College is a place for experiencing new things, and no better place to experience than Boston.  So, wake up early on that Saturday morning to go to that feminist rally, or take a study break and go walk along the Esplanade with friends because those are the moments that you will remember and cherish.

Don’t stress too much about things that are out of your control.  Everyone gets bad grades (or sleeps through a COM Exam if you’re like me), but it’s important to learn from your mistakes, buy a better alarm clock, take a deep breath, and just move on because these things will happen and they are out of your control at that point.  So, go easy on yourself and let yourself make mistakes because they are inevitable and stressing too much over them won’t help.

Finally, take time for yourself because everyone needs simple nights staying in the dorm watching Netflix.  School and friends are important, but these are the nights that keep you sane.  It’s nice to take a break from all madness of the week and of BU, and just take time to relax and reflect on your life.  These breaks are essential to make sure you’re not getting too caught up in the craziness of it all.

Going to BU was the best decision I could have made and I can’t wait to spend another 3 years walking up and down Comm Ave countless times a day, waiting in long lines at Starbucks, and spending great nights in the dorms playing ukulele with my friends.  Thanks for a great year!!