Laura: I Made an Instagram Account to Share What I Love

This summer I wanted to put my summer break to good use and find a new way to relax… without using Netflix. I know, crazy right? During the school year I find myself extremely busy with assignments, activities, and friends that I have no time to indulge in a great book. Therefore this summer I chose to read as much as possible and set a goal of reading 10 books. In 2016 I had only read 4 books for fun, so this was going to be a major adjustment and slight challenge. I ended up passing my goal. I read 15 books in just one summer. I made a plan to read every day and somehow worked my way through books of various styles and genres. Often times when I would finish a book I would post a snapchat on my story and because of this a lot of people started to notice how often I was reading. 

My friends would text measking:

“Can you recommend a book to me!?”

To which I always replied: 

“What kind of books do you like?” 

Followed by a list of 10 books I think they might like. 

I was receiving these texts about three times each day…

Due to this, I decided to start an Instagram where I could post the books I love and the books I am currently reading for my friends to look at and get recommendations. Within one month of starting the account I have over 120 followers. While I am walking on Comm Ave people constantly stop me to talk about books or my Instagram account. If I never started the account, a lot of people would not have known about my love for books and wouldn’t have been able to reach out to me about it. 

To my surprise I still receive many texts from my fellow students telling me about books they just read OR about their experience reading one of the books I recommended on my account. My point to this is if you’re interested in something: share it! Chances are you will inspire others to share their interest and you will also find common ground with many new people.

If you’re looking for a book right now these are the top 10 books I am constantly recommending: 

1. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
  2. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
  3. From Scratch by Allen Salkin
  4. The Rules Do Not Apply by Ariel Levy 
  5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
  6. Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult 
  7. Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 
  8. Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave 
  9. A little Love Story by Roland Merullo
  10. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley 

Follow my Instagram account @lauras.library to see my posts throughout the year!