Josee: For the Person Who Wants to Do It All

For your standard overachiever, attending Boston University feels like a kid in a candy store. Everywhere you turn, there’s another club that piques your interest or an event you want to go to. Each time you meet someone new, they do something really cool that you want to try. A friend’s social media post will present you with a new place that you need to explore.

Now, you’re living in Boston and there’s no shortage of things to see, people to talk to, and opportunities right on your doorstep.

But, just like when you ate all your Halloween candy in one night the stomache ache of consuming too much leaves you tired, uncomfortable, and a little bit sick to your stomach.

I’m not trying to say that you shouldn’t put yourself out there and make the most of your time here at BU. Now’s your time to live your best life and make some wicked cool memories that will last a lifetime. Just make sure that you take the time to take care of yourself along the way.

In my case, I’m like a shark. I always have to be moving and up to something. My google calendar looks like a rainbow threw up all over it and I absolutely love it. But it’s also important to schedule time for yourself to recuperate, reinvigorate, and reset for the next day.

Freshman year, I filled my schedule to the brim with activities, classes, and social upkeep. I thought i was burnt out in high school but didn’t realize exactly how much harder it is when you have to take care of yourself. I worked myself sick by the end of both semesters, ending up in the hospital, countless doctor’s offices and even missing a final each semester because I was run so ragged. That’s where self-care comes in.

Besides your resources within the school and your friend group, making time to treat yourself is a great way to take some time to breathe. Here are some tips for Self-Care success

1. Schedule it in  – If you don’t set time aside, there’s a chance you’ll just skip it. So make time specifically for yourself.
  2. Sleep – Pulling an all-nighter is one of the worst feelings ever (preceded only by missing the BU Bus by a hair). A (semi) regular sleep schedule can help your body with a reliable recharge to face the next day.
  3. Food – Whether it’s a fancy dinner in the North End, a quick bite at by CHLOE, or a pint of ice cream after a long day, eating things that make you happy and eating regularly can really help with energy upkeep and surviving through the mid-week slump.
  4. Workout – Release those endorphins one way or another with a run down the Esplanade or a Kickboxing class at FitRec. Spending an hour or two only focused on exercise can provide a quick removal from work.
  5. You do you – If you need a night to stay in when your friends are going out, do it. If you need to take a day off for mental health, go for it. Discover the things that make you happy and make them a priority because you are a priority.

So that’s my two cents for now. If you want specific suggestions, feel free to tweet me @JoseeMatela!
Peace and love,
Josee