Grace: Preparing for Study Abroad: Tips and Tricks from an Organization Fanatic

Boston University’s study abroad program is one of the primary reasons why I decided to attend the College of Communication. Our unique program of study and internship is a truly unique experience I know I will cherish for the rest of my life. Next semester, I will be interning in advertising and taking classes in advertising and international relations while I study abroad in London, England.

Applying for abroad is easy, but the procedure once you are accepted may seem a little daunting. Read on for my tips and tricks on how to stay on top of your responsibilities and make the most of your abroad experience:

1. Make a checklist of items you need to complete before going abroad.

The hub page of your abroad program will list preparation details for you, but sometimes it’s easier to also make a list for yourself. Include key dates and event reminders, and cross off items once you complete them. I even ranked my to-do list in order of importance.

2. Plan excursion destinations with your friends.

If you know some peers in the same program, get together and make a list of countries or cities you want to visit. Wait to buy flights and train tickets until after you’ve received your class schedule, but at least have an idea of where you’d like to go.

3. Stock up on American items you might not find abroad.

Sounds silly, but I know it might be hard to find my favorite eye makeup remover abroad. To avoid these issues, bring along key items you can’t live without.

4. Avoid over packing.

Easier said than done, I know. But honestly, you will most definitely buy more souvenirs than you think. Account for this ahead, and avoid having to buy an extra suitcase for the flight back.

5. Adopt an open mind.

Abroad is all about meeting new people, visiting new sites, and experiencing new cultures. Read about the culture of wherever you plan to study, and challenge yourself to try new things when you’re abroad.

Safe travels, friends. You’re about to start an adventure of a lifetime