Emily: My Boston Bookstore Bucket List

This year, I made a resolution to read for pleasure more. It may have something to do with all of my professors telling me to be a “consumer of culture”, but really I just love reading and bookstores. And, as the first month of 2018 comes to a close, I’ve had the terrible realization that I’ve only read one book (It’s Commonwealth by Ann Patchett)!! So, to inspire myself (and hopefully you), I’ve compiled my Boston Bookstore Bucket List (because the idea of cozying up with a coffee and a good book sounds way better than doing homework).

1. MIT Press Bookstore

Okay, so I’ve technically already been here but I cannot recommend this bookstore enough. The MIT Press Bookstore, as the name suggests, features works from the MIT Press. They have an extensive selection of design, art, and science books (and a pretty nice music section). But what makes this store stand out from the others (Aside from the selection of coffeeshops surrounding the location) is the book designs themselves. I have never been more inspired by book covers before. If you’re into graphic design or art, this would be at the top of my list.

1. Trident Booksellers and Cafe

Brunch in a bookstore? Trident says yes! So, I’ve also been here a few times, but I always want to go back! Trident has great food (I recommend the tofu scramble for my veggie friends) and an even better atmosphere. I could seriously spend all day here – and not just because of the free wifi. If you’re looking for good books or good gifts, or a good place to take a friend, this is the place to go!

1. Brattle Book Shop

This is at the very top of my bucket list… look how cool it is!! Brattle Book Shop offers a vast  selection of used books, plus their outdoor bookshelves would make for a great Instagram (amiright ladies)?

4) Brookline Booksmith

Located in the always-cool Coolidge Corner, Brookline Booksmith is one of the most recommended bookstores in Boston! For aesthetics alone, this is at the top of my list (look at the fairy lights, it’s a Tumblr dream!) Brookline Booksmith has a huge variety, a used book cellar, and also sells audiobooks.

Hopefully this inspired you to hit your reading goals this year! Happy Reading!