Ali: A love letter to Warren Towers

This is my love letter to Warren Towers.

I never thought I would write a love letter to the large, slightly smelly, always crowded dorm on Comm Ave. One of the most nerve-wrecking parts of my freshman year was moving into a new environment for the first time. For most new students, it’s your first time living away from home and being on your own, and this was my exact situation. While I was excited to be out on my own and starting a new adventure at BU, the one thing I wasn’t excited about was living in Warren Towers my freshman year. I had heard of the misery of living without air conditioning and sharing a bathroom with an entire floor and figured it would be the one downside to my freshman year.

But this is a love letter, right? Let’s talk about why I love Warren Towers.

First off, your dorm is a blank canvas of a room. If you’re anything like me, your bedroom at home is an amalgamation of childhood memorabilia, school supplies, and a lifetimes worth of clutter. When I moved into my dorm room, I was able to design it exactly the way I wanted. I put up string lights and posters that I wanted, I bought a new bedspread and sheets, I even bought a matching throw blanket. It looked infinitely more put together than my bedroom at home ever has. But that’s not specific to Warren Towers, right? You can design a room anywhere.

Having the dining hall in your building is also a huge plus. I can text my friends at any hour and someone is always there, ready to sit and eat with me or sit and study with me. I’ve met people in the dining hall just to watch old episodes of Catfish for hours on end. Having it right there makes it a hub for meeting (and making) new friends when you first get on campus. Plus, when it gets cold and you don’t feel like putting on all your snow gear just to get dinner, the dining hall is right there. Even better, every night after the dining hall closes, Warren Towers Late Nite Café opens. At Late Nite, you can use your dining points to get anything from a smoothie to mozzarella sticks. It’s perfect for a late night snack while you study, or a quick break while you’re hanging out with your friends on the weekend.

One of the first things I heard about living in Warren Towers is that it’s great for making friends. At first, this seemed like a lofty claim. How does living in the same building with a bunch of other people automatically help you make friends? After living through it, though, I understand. Living in Warren means you can walk to your friend’s room at 10:00am in your pajamas, just to say “Hi!”. In Warren, you can sit in the common room for hours on end together without having to worry about walking home after. You can have impromptu movie nights and not even worry about putting on a jacket to leave the building. With your friends so close, it’s easy to forge strong relationships quickly because it’s so easy to hang out with one another.

There’s nothing that can mimic the camaraderie of living in a giant freshman dorm together during your first year in college. So sure, air conditioning and a private bathroom are nice, but I wouldn’t trade the friendships I’ve made in Warren for anything.