Evan: OMG, it’s Second Semester! What I’ve Learned So Far…

Hi! I’m Evan, and I’m totally new at this. COM Ambassadors, BU, Boston, basically everything that is going on in life right now. And, as a planner, it can sometimes be just a *liiiittle* stressful not knowing much at all. Sometimes I wish that people could just teach me how to do the things called “college-ing” and “adulting,” but since that never totally happened (and I am my own strong, independent, and somewhat thriving person!), that’s why I’m here right now. I guess you could call me your freshman-year fairy godmother, or something like that. If you, too, are also a little terrified and a lot excited for your future, this post is just for you.

ms-YnT8mS

Without further adieu, here’s how to be a COM freshman, as Told by a COM freshman…

Don’t be afraid to ask your COM Ambassador for anything!

source

Okay, so maybe we won’t all be able to give you the keys to our apartment, but we are always here for you. Our main goal is to make sure your start at COM is incredible, so you can love it as much as we do. Need a brunch buddy? We got that. Want to check out the coolest new independent films at Coolidge Corner? You can count on us. Looking for a friendly face to say hello to during your walk down Comm. Ave? We’re here for that too. Questions about your schedule? Check. But for more about that…

Pick your classes based on what you’re interested, and not on what anyone else wants you to be interested in.

ms-co7XGW

The HUB seems really confusing, I get it. But with the HUB curriculum comes the opportunity to take so many amazing classes that are completely unique to BU! My math class literally involved making lava cakes, ice cream, and boba (s/o PY 107: Physics of Food) and meeting a bunch of other amazing freshmen who also were a little scared of calculus. BUT, if calculus speaks to you, go for it! There is nothing that can stop you, and with all of the amazing programs at BU, I guarantee that you can complete your HUB credits and have an amazing time while you’re at it.

(I know it’s such a cliche, but) try new things!

ms-2etPYI

Never in 100,000,000,000 years would I have thought that I’d be acting on a TV show, or that the TV show would just so happen to be the nation’s longest-running college soap opera (…in the history of college soap operas? Shoutout to Bay State and BUTV10!!). And now, this semester, I’m planning on assistant producing a show for one theater group, doing hair and makeup for another, joining a sorority, and more. There are so many opportunities at BU, it’s practically impossible to not find your niche here.

Don’t be afraid to go out of your comfort zone– or into the huge and fantastic city of Boston!

ms-9RecTF

Boston is an amazing city! Whether you’re coming from a big city– like I did– or you’re from a town with only one stoplight, Boston is the perfect not-huge big city. Especially with the MBTA Green Line that runs straight through campus, you can get to the beautiful parks of Chestnut Hill or the historic North End in minutes. And as your COM Ambassadors, we would all love to introduce you to the city we all call home!

And lastly… Be You!

giphy

I know it’s cheesy, but this had to happen at some point 🙂 There is really no better place to learn and grow, and although I’m still a newbie, I can only imagine what’s to come!

Now that I’m officially 100 words over the word count, I think it’s time to go. But, as you’re COM ambassadors, we’ll still always be here for you!

Until next time 🙂