Jazzy: On Feeling Fine When the World Is on Fire

On Feeling Fine When the World Is on Fire

My Tips to Help You Weather a Unique Spring Semester

This school year has been rough, to say to least. We’ve had to grapple with killer bees, a global pandemic, rising racial tensions, a presidential election, an attempted coup, confusing Gamestop stocks, climate change, Bridgerton, wildfires, oh my!

And, it’s only the beginning of second semester.

Here’s how I’m dealing when the world is on fire, literally. Maybe one of these tips can help you, too.

1. Journaling

Before the pandemic, I rarely wrote about myself. But, now, my tune has changed. With everything going on, I find it cathartic to write about my life. This way, I can process my emotions before they start pouring onto another person. There’s lots of different ways to journal — I personally love this

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.43.41 PM

1. Keeping an Organized Calendar

I don’t know where I’d be without my Google Calendar and Notion workspace. My bedroom has become my classroom, work office, dining room, study space and gym; it’s easy to lose track of time. But, my organizers keep me healthy, safe and sane during these tough times.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.44.16 PM

1. Getting Fresh Air

Admittedly, this is something I struggle with. However, studies have shown that fresh air and sunshine are good for the soul. So, go for that morning walk. Take your dog for a run. Bike to Starbucks; you deserve it. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.44.37 PM

1. Remembering to Breathe

It sounds silly, but I promise it’s not. I schedule Breathing Breaks, as I call them, into my day. Sometimes I need to check-in with my body, relax my muscles and calm my mind. The Headspace app, free for BU students, can help with this as well.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.45.01 PM

So, now it’s your turn. What works for me might not work for you. And that’s okay. It’s also okay to not be okay. There are days when I struggle to get out of bed. It can be hard to log-in to Zoom, or to turn on your camera, or to reach out to a classmate about that cup of coffee you said you wanted to get with them 3 months ago. But, no matter where you’re at in life right now, it’s okay. It’s okay to feel all your feelings. It’s okay to ask for help.

Lastly…

I’d be remiss to not include a few mental health resources. So, here’s a non-exhaustive list of free resources for exhausted folks. You can access these no matter where you’re at — mentally, economically, or physically.