Sophie J: Surviving 1st Semester

Tips and bits of Advice to survive the first semester at BU 

The first semester of college can be overwhelming and thrilling at the same time. Similarly, from my experience, I was anxious and excited as I imagined how my college life would be, yet, I was looking forward to meeting new people. These are a couple of advice and tips to know to make your college experience fantastic:

Don’t hesitate to reach out and talk to people!

At first, it can be overwhelming to meet new people, especially in a new environment you just moved in. On my first week at Boston University, I met friends just by talking to them at the lobby of Warren Towers and got to know my floor friends by knocking on all of their doors. Similarly, there were some students on my floor that knocked on my door and we were able to get to know each other through this way. Amid the current pandemic, it can be harder to meet new friends or people in general; however, there are still ways to get to know people through social media, online events, or people in your classes such as GroupMe.

Join clubs!

Join clubs that really interest you! There so many clubs at BU, ranging from photograph clubs to Student Government. There are a variety of clubs you can join, whether or not it relates to what you are majoring in. Clubs are a great way to meet new people and explore your interests. In addition, they are an amazing opportunity to have hands-on experiences. For me, as a Broadcast Journalism major, I had the opportunity to be a part of WTBU and BUTV10. In these clubs, I met many people that have similar appeals as me and I got to experience “life as a broadcaster.” I highly recommend joining clubs during your time at BU!

Manage your Time well

It is very important to make sure you are scheduling your time very well. With classes during the day, clubs, or other activities, you should write down what you need to complete and when they are due. Personally, I keep a notebook or planner with me that has all my assignment due dates and what I need to accomplish for the day. It can be a little confusing at first, but you will get the hang of managing your time once you get used to it. Try not to finalize your assignments on the day of or late at night, as it can be arduous. You will need that sleep!

Late Night

It is likely that you will spend an all-nighter or at least have a day where you will be studying until very late at night. For me, there were times in the middle of the night where I would get hungry or was craving a snack. When I first found out about Late Night dining, I was very delighted that I was able to get a variety of delicious foods no matter how late it was while studying. You can use your dining points through GrubHub to get anything at Late Night. Trust me, getting late-night dining really helps 🙂

These are just a few tips to remember when going through your first semester at BU. As a current freshman, I think that college is the best time to reach out and explore your interest. Most importantly,  have fun! Do what you really are passionate about and broaden your horizons. After all, isn’t that what college is all about? 🙂