Remy: 5 Ways to Savor Time Before Graduation

5 ways to savor time before graduation

When I toured COM as a senior in high school, I remember one of the COM ambassadors giving me the tour told me to enjoy every second of my time here because it goes quickly. She wasn’t the last senior, or person for that matter, over the past four years to give me that same advice. I hate to say it, but the sappy line that “time flies” feels more accurate now than ever. Although this past year has felt never-ending, I simultaneously feel like I was just a freshman hanging out with my friends on our floor in Warren. Thus, as I approach my final month and weeks as a BU student, I am making it my goal to truly savor every last minute of my time here. Below I am sharing the top five ways I plan to take it all in.

1. Start a gratitude journal – I’ve journalled off and on throughout college, but to truly appreciate my final weeks at BU, I’ve decided to keep a gratitude journal. Every morning I write down three things that I am grateful for from the day before. These reasons can be as big or small as I want (i.e. grabbing a socially-distant coffee with friends, watching the sunset over the Charles from my window, laughing with my roommates, etc.) but they remind me to appreciate all that I have and help me start my day with a positive outlook. 
  2. Reach Out – Obviously right now meeting up in person can be tough, so I’ve planned lots of Zoom calls and Facetimes in the past couple of weeks with people I haven’t seen in awhile. I have never regretted reaching out and checking in with someone, whether that be a friend I haven’t talked to since the fall or a professor from two years ago. Take this as your sign to reach out and say hello! 
  3. Go to class!!! – This may be controversial for some as senioritis and Zoom fatigue kicks in, but I am doing my best to show up and stay engaged in all my classes. I know one day I’ll miss getting to go to class and having discussions simply for the sake of learning. 
  4. Visit your favorite Boston spots – One of the best parts about BU is that you have the entire city of Boston at your fingertips. I’ve created lots of memories throughout the city, but I am trying to visit all my favorite places as this semester starts to wrap up. Some of my favorites include the COM lawn (a classic), Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge corner, the steps in Seaport, the list goes on…   
  5. Spend time with the people that matter! – My time at BU has been absolutely unforgettable and I am going to miss it more than anything. However, as cheesy as it sounds, I know it would not have been the same without the people that I’ve met here. Even though Covid has made it tough to see people, I’ve realized that the best nights are the ones watching movies with my roommates, getting breakfast with my best friends, and all the little moments in between.