Jess S: My Journey to COM

JESS S: My Journey to COM

When a glitch in my high school’s registration system accidentally landed me in a journalism elective freshman year, I would discover a passion for the field of communications that has grown ever since. And ever since I went on my first tour of Boston University’s College of Communication five years ago, I knew that COM was the right place for me and that I wanted to become involved in a meaningful way. COM has provided me with so many incredible experiences; from dynamic classes, internship leads from professors to writing for The Boston Globe. As a COM ambassador, I have been able to give back by helping other students navigate and make the most of their COM experience. 

Since that fortuitous accident in high school, I have been pursuing every avenue to gain experience in communications and hone my skills. When I got to BU, I was that student that put my email down at what felt like every single table at Splash. I wanted to dive in and learn what I loved to do the most. Now as an Advertising & Journalism double major, I am continuing to let communications skills flourish and am learning more every day. I have become involved in many different extracurriculars so I could truly experience everything COM and BU has to offer. More than anything I wanted to figure out my place here and where I fit in, and I have to say – that’s the only way to do it. It’s important to dive right in and immerse yourself in the endless opportunities COM has to offer. 

As I am approaching my senior year, I have started to reflect on my past 3 years at BU. Although COVID got in the way at times, I still feel I took advantage of everything COM can provide. Whether you just arrived at BU or you’ve been here a while now, get as involved as you can because it goes by in a blink of an eye. You will never look back on your time at BU and say “I wish I had gotten less involved.” So make the most of your time here, I promise you won’t regret it.