Helena B: Less is More – Tips from a High School Overachiever

Less is More – Tips from a High School Overachiever

Arriving at such a huge school with so many awesome clubs, events, and opportunities, can be overwhelming. Trust me, I know. 

I spent the first few weeks going to every event, joining every club, and trying to meet everyone I possibly could.  

I’m now halfway through my second semester of college and have realized that in some cases it can be a lot easier to approach such a huge change in life by narrowing down the possibilities into just what’s necessary.  

I saw everyone around me joining a myriad of clubs of all different types, and so I thought of doing the same. I joined about 10 to 15, and then started receiving a thousand overwhelming emails about club meetings and I realized that maybe that wasn’t needed ( especially considering I couldn’t make it to all of them and was then left feeling bad about my ability to commit). 

So I tried something different… the one thing I knew for a fact was that I wanted to take any occasion to gain knowledge in Film and TV ( my major), so I joined the one club I knew I could dedicate genuine time and effort to: BUTV10. 

Whether you choose to join BUTV10 or any of the other clubs COM has to offer, sticking to fully investing my time into one allowed me to be more active in what I love and gave me the opportunity to gain confidence in my major while adding something concrete and major-related in my CV. 

After a few months of only participating in BUTV10, I stumbled across the opportunity to become a COM Ambassador. Since I took the time to adjust without overloading in activities, now that I had found something else I was genuinely excited to participate in I was able to go through the whole hiring process calmly and without feeling overwhelmed! 

I now find myself at the end of my second semester with only two things I am part of, and although sometimes I feel lesser than for it, I like to remind myself that there is no rush and frankly no reason why I should do more than I feel is healthy for me. 

Focusing on a few things at once also allowed me to gain meaningful friendships and relationships, to have time every week to network, and to go well academically! 

And I promise, if you think this will make you less amusing for employers in the future, it won’t! You bring worth to everything you do. As long as you apply yourself to the few things you feel are genuine reflections of your character, you will gain recognition for it! 

Best of luck, and remember, sometimes less is more!