Kelly T: The First Extracurricular and Job in College that Changed My Whole College Experience

I applied to the CA program in the first semester of my freshman year back in the Fall of 2021. Coming from a super small high school in another country, speaking another language, and living in an entirely new environment, my transition to BU was tough.

So many people this year said they felt like I adapted to college life well. I laughed a bit and thought about this question for a few seconds. “Ummm, did I? It didn’t seem to be that smooth to me.”

Now I’m about halfway through college. Looking back, so many things that happened during the past years were not the way I imagined it to be, but all the good and the bad were exactly what I needed to make me the person I am today. I know it sounds cheesy, but the famous quote ‘ “good things” take time,” works here somehow. Thinking about planting a seed, some grow faster, while others are a bit slower, but that doesn’t deny their destiny of growing into a beautiful flower.

Before applying to become a CA, I had no other extracurriculars in college. I was even unsure why I applied. As a student who participated in a lot of things back in high school, I knew I would continue my spirit in college. I looked over the criteria of being a CA and some of the things that I might do as a CA, I felt like it could add to my resume and polish up my COM experience. Without further hesitation, I applied. I have to say it has given me much more than I expected.

I met my tour partner Mira last spring, who is now working at National Graphic in Washington, DC. We have made many great memories together every Friday afternoon, our regular tour time. Whether it was watching the heavy snow on the COM lawn or greeting up to three family groups, my Friday afternoons have been filled with excitement ever since I started my role. I’ve been watching Mira as my role model to lead the tour – with a gentle pace, engaging conversation, and always a bright smile. I also practiced my public speaking skill and have realized that what matters most is not how much information you remember that you remember from the COM handbook but how your own COM experiences changed your life here. I’ve learned to speak slowly, articulate each word clearly, and always try to make eye contact with the people I’m talking to ensure they understand what I said.

My happiness even appeared to be more than I expected when I saw smiles from the prospective students and parents when they learned more about COM. That’s always the best part of my job! I knew that I wanted to do hospitality stuff and make good relationships with people, and it even convinced me to continue pursuing my degree in Public Relations.

Here is a general tip for incoming COM students: when you are unsure of something, give it a try; the worst result is that you won’t get anything, and you never lose anything as well. Sometimes surprises are waiting for those who are not ready, that’s why it’s called a surprise!