Eleanor S: How to Balance Multiple Jobs at BU

My favorite job I have at BU is being a COM Ambassador. I love getting to meet new people and get paid to show my love for BU. However, even though I am just a freshman, I have had to learn the importance of scheduling and organization this year. This is because being a COM Ambassador is only one of my three jobs on campus. I am also a barista at Starbucks (shout out to the Warren Towers Team!) and a sales associate at the Brookline TJ Maxx.

Though it seems pretty daunting to take on the responsibilities of three positions, especially when coming to a new environment; it is not that hard to do. Here are the tips and tricks I have learned to handle working multiple jobs and how to balance that with also making the most of the college experience.

My first tip is to create a class schedule with built-in blocks to work during. What I mean by this is try not to have all your classes spaced out throughout the day. I have classes in the morning to leave large blocks of time in the afternoon to work. It helps make my availability easy for my managers and allows me to still enjoy being a part of nighttime clubs. 

The second tip is don’t be scared to ask for help when crazier academic or extracurricular weeks come around. Most jobs on BU’s campus have a system where you can get people to cover your shift. Everyone I have worked with at these jobs has been friendly and willing to lend a helping hand.

My last tip is the saying that you’re a “student employee” and that being a student comes first. I have found knowing my strengths has been the best way for me to organize my work schedule. I realized my second semester was going to be a little more hectic, and I would have less time to commute to TJ Maxx. There is no shame in lowering hours or increasing hours of work when in college. Most establishments understand that being a “student” is our top priority.

Jobs are a lot of fun, and making money is always a plus. But just make sure you find a good balance that works for you. Look for jobs on Studentlink that work best with your aspirations or extracurricular schedule. Or even talk to fellow students about how they found their school jobs. In the end, everything will work out, and balancing any number of jobs will seem like a piece of cake.