Sara: Boston Off the Beaten Path

So you’ve been in Boston a couple weeks now. Chances are you’ve been to Faneuil Hall, to the Common and Newbury Street – all the grand tourist-y spots. Which means you now understand the frustration associated with circumnavigating the tourists. But where to go next? It’s time to discover the places in Boston upperclassmen know and love. Here are my three favorites:

• Coolidge Corner Theater
    • Jonesing to see that really obscure indie movie that came out 3 years ago? How about a midnight screening of a classic horror movie? This is the place for you! The theater is small, cozy and has a killer old-fashioned marquee. It’s also less expensive than going to the Regal- $10.25 a ticket. It’s time to broaden your horizons! Now Showing: Boyhood.
    • Also see Kendall Square Cinema & the Somerville Theatre

Untitled

• Carousel on Rose Kennedy Greenway
    • It’s cool, you’re in college now and way too cool for riding a carousel. NOT TRUE. This is by far the best carousel I’ve ever been on. Ride a hand painted, hand carved animal of your choice for just $3 while listening to Frank Sinatra? Sign me up any day.

Untitled1

• John F. Kennedy Presidential Library
    • I will admit I’m a little biased here because I did a research project in the library’s archives, but I really think this is one of the most underrated places in Boston. The library itself is beautiful and chock full of history—a great fall weekend activity! The views from the library are also stunning as it sits right on the water. Just take the red line out to the JFK/ UMass stop and hop on the shuttle that takes you to the library.

Untitled2