Christy: A Time for Lasts

Since coming to Boston University in September 2014, I have experienced so many “firsts.” I went to my first college class, I survived my first Boston winter (it was the storm Juno…) and lived in my first apartment, just to name a few. 

I just celebrated my birthday with all the wonderful friends I’ve made over the last three and a half years at BU, and it hit me: this is the last time I will be able to celebrate with all my closest friends in one place. 

Now, I realized, I have experienced so many firsts that it might be time for some of my lasts (such as my last COM Ambassador blog post).

I know it sounds sad and dramatic, but with only a month left at BU before I graduate, I think I am allowed to be. Graduating early comes with its advantages and excitement, but it also means I have a semester less of time in Boston, at BU and with my friends. But, what’s the point of being sad? I don’t have only a month left — I have a whole month left! In this month, I am going to do as much as I can to see my friends, make memories and make the most of this month. To do this, I promised myself I would:

Make it to all the plans, events and activities I am invited to.

I am a homebody and really value my alone time. But, I am just doing myself a disservice by losing out on time with my friends. 

Make plans to go places I have yet to visit.

I already started this by planning trips to both Salem and Martha’s Vineyard last month, but there’s still so much more to do. I have never been to the Lawn on D, and I have SO many restaurants still to try.

Do now, sleep later.

Not later into the morning, but sleep when I am actually tired instead of retiring for the night in bed at 5:30 p.m. with Netflix and mac and cheese.

Say “yes” more.

I am a very indecisive person … but if I don’t say yes now, when will I?

The friendships I have made while in this incredible city have helped me grow, and are invaluable to me. Hellos may become goodbyes and firsts may become lasts, but at least I know when I leave Boston in December that I have made the most of my time left.