Next semester, I will be traveling abroad to Sydney, Australia for Boston University’s internship program! I will be flying for approximately 21 hours to the land of beaches, kangaroos, and vegemite and saying goodbye to some American, and specifically Boston, staples. In memoriam of being away from those things for four months, I have composed a list of the things I will miss most while I am down under:
- Trader Joe’s
This is number one for a reason. I will miss the convenience of shopping at the Coolidge Corner store every week and the cauliflower rice!
- Marathon Monday
- T. Anthony’s Pizzeria
- Picco pizza (I really like pizza, can you tell?)
- Studying on the 3rd or 6th floor of Mugar
- Going to the Boston Public Library to pick up books to read
- The view from the 26th floor of Stuvi2
- American-specific content on Netflix (aka The Office)
Apparently ordering lemonade isn’t really a thing in Australia, the closest thing is Sprite.
- Flywheel classes in the Prudential
If there is one thing to know about me, I put ketchup on everything. Apparently, if I want ketchup in Australia I will have to ask for “tomato sauce,” but then what am I supposed to do if I actually want tomato sauce!?
- Matcha lattes from the Pavement coffeehouse on Commonwealth Ave
- Walking from my dorm in West campus to class in East campus each day
- Running the COM open house in April with my fellow COM Ambassadors
- The leaves changing on Bay State Road
Short list of things I will not miss: Snow and hearing everyone talk about Tom Brady.
I will miss my friends, family, and Boston University as a whole more than anything (even more than Trader Joe’s). Boston University has prepared me to take a leap of faith and travel across the world and I know that I am prepared for this journey of a lifetime. I will be back soon Boston, don’t you forget about me!