Morgan: Life as an Advertising Intern

So you want to go into advertising? So you want to work at one of those big fancy ad firms like on “Mad Men” and hang out on comfy couches while you create some pretty awesome stuff? Well get out your Mason Jars and sporks then friends – you’re gonna need ‘em!

I was lucky enough to snag an awesome internship at Digitas (now DigitasLBi) this summer – the largest (and best!) advertising firm in the Boston area. I was so excited about everything that I would learn from my summer at Digitas, but what I didn’t expect was to be treated like royalty. Let me explain…

– On day 1, the fed us breakfast AND lunch. And we got lots of Digitas swag.

– Every Friday, we get free bagels.

– On day 4, we got to attend the annual All Staff Meeting – held at the Boston Opera house, followed by food & drinks!

– There is candy. Everywhere. All the time.

– There is also free coffee all day everyday. Keurig cups GALORE.

– On day 10, we got free ice cream sundaes (summer solstice, duh).

– On day 13, we had breakfast with the CEO of the entire North American branch of DigitasLbi – Tony Weisman. Who is awesome, BTW.

– On day 16, we had lunch with former Digitas interns – who told us about their experience here.

– On day 24, all of the interns went to Cradles & Crayons for volunteer day, followed by more free food, of course.

– Next Tuesday we’re having dinner at Barb’s house – the President of Digitas Boston (casual), and on Thursday, we’re going to a Red Sox Game!

Best summer ever, anyone?

But in all honesty, all 25 of the Digitas summer interns are smart, hardworking, and innovative individuals and I have felt so lucky to be a part of this intern class. The interns are placed in a variety of capabilities – from Account Management, to Creative, to Strategy & Analysis, and are placed on client teams. Our days consist of about 75% real client work, and 25% “Digitas University” content – including training sessions and a case study competition. Although Digitas encourages its employees to have fun, we also work really hard, and in the last 8 weeks I’ve learned more about the industry than I ever could have learned in a classroom.

So my advice to you?

INTERN INTERN INTERN. Do it as many times as you can in as many places as you can. Its an awesome experience overall, and you might even get paid 😉

Hope you’re having a great summer and I can’t wait to meet all of you in the fall!