L.E.: A Love Letter to BU Coffee

If there’s one thing that every college kid can agree on is that caffeinated beverages are a key factor for getting through a busy week. Whether you prefer lattes, tea, cappuccinos or the classic dark roast blend, Boston University provides multiple ways for students to get their fix for a little boost of energy. I am known as a “coffee guru,” so a big part of why I chose BU is because there is a Starbucks between Warren Towers and COM. However, while students waste their time wating in out-the-door lines at starbucks locations all around campus, I escape them in my own secret coffee spot.

My go-to spot for both my breakfast and lunch needs is a place called RiZe- a café located in the basement of the Center for Student Services building found at 100 Bay State Road. I consider this place to be one of BU’s greatest “hidden gems” because there’s never a long line and they have the best food on campus. When you walk down the stairs, it is impossible to miss the lime green paint and chalkboard walls that welcome you to the bakery. Their expresso menu is identical to Starbucks, but the variety of options does not stop there. They have about every bakery item you could imagine, and the assortment of goods changes each season so there’s always something new to try. A personal favorite treat of mine was the pumpkin mousse that they had in the fall. Each dessert can be deliciously paired with a cup of coffee or save for a post-lunch snack. In addition to their grab-and-go bakery options, you can also pre-order custom Birthday cakes for mini celebrations with friends!

Which leads me to the lunch menu- RiZe also has a wide variety of sandwiches and salads that you can order “for here” or “to go.” Next to your choice of meal, you can pick between homemade chips or a side salad- both are amazing options. I always choose the Back Bay Chicken Sandwich and side salad because it is my favorite meal on campus. The menu has so many options that is really easy to branch out and try something new.

The cozy corner filled with tables and chairs makes RiZe a peaceful place to get homework done or take a break after a long day of classes. If I didn’t sell you on BU’s greatest café yet, RiZe also takes dining points which is a part of every dining plan at BU so you can save your cash for weekend trips to Newbury.

I’m eagerly anticipating my return to RiZe for the spring semester and hoping to be welcomed back by a batch of fresh red velvet cookies!

http://www.bu.edu/dining/where-to-eat/retail-dining/rize/