Joe: Look Back At It

So here we are, just weeks away from the rest of my life. I always have said that Halloween is basically the end point of the semester, with the following weeks acting like one of those moving sidewalks in an airport. The time just seems to jump and everything is coming down to the wire so quickly. So I want to take this time to slow down. Take it all in. Stop and smell the roses, if you will.

Get ready because this blog post is about to get weirdly emotional and feel like you got kicked in the face with emotions.

CABlogFeels

I have spent 3.5 years at B.U. and it has been some of the best years of my life. I have met people who have built me up and challenged who I am. I’ve grown and grown and grown some more. I’ve made mistakes and accomplishments and everything in between. I have learned more about the world and it’s people and how I fit in to all of it. What role do I play and how can I make the world a better place for all who inhabit it?

These are the questions I have been asking myself upon my impending graduation. What do I want to do with my life and how can I, Joe Piro, a humble boy from Long Island, make a difference in this big scary place? And will even those small efforts make a difference?

Last week, I sent in my absentee ballot to vote for the first female President of the United States. And while that seemed to have received some backlash from my family members back home, I’ve never felt more sure in my decision.  Yesterday, I cried watching Hilary’s “The Story of this Campaign” video. Even though I supported Bernie Sanders through the primaries, watching her progress made me think of my sisters, nieces, mom, grandmas, and every female friend I’ve ever had as I’ve watched them have to overcome things I as a man do not have to deal with. Yesterday may have been Election Day, but today starts the real work towards progress.

As of writing this blog post, the Presidential election is still undecided. And I just want to remind you all that the world is a wonderful place and we do not live in Medieval Times or during The Christian Crusades. And I feel now more than ever we have the power to shape this world into what we want it to be. I want to live in a place that is filled with optimism and hope and love. Wow, this sounds corny but I’m in rare form from this election and I just want the world to be a happy place.

ELECTION2016