Frank: This Isn’t How I Remember It…: Video Game, Mashups, and I

Oh gee, oh my, it’s time for my first blog post! Hello my dudes, I’m Frank Hernandez—WTBU DJ, COM Ambassador, and a guy just trying his best! Today I’d like to share with you guys a story about one of my favorite hobbies: video games. Man, how I love my video games! They’ve been with me ever since I was a little kid. As a matter of fact, my earliest memory is me sitting in the living room playing GameCube with my dad! Ah… Now those were the good times…

But, here’s the thing. Ever since I came to BU, video games and I have taken a long and uncertain break. We felt like the long distance thing wasn’t going to work out… They’re back home, I’m in Boston, we just thought a break would be beneficial to both of us. However, that doesn’t mean I don’t think about them every single day. I always find myself humming the songs to my favorite games, especially between classes.

One day while walking down Commonwealth Avenue, I remembered this one song from my favorite game growing up: Super Mario Sunshine. I was immediately filled with nostalgia, so I searched the song on YouTube, put on my headphones, and tapped on the first result. The childhood memories came rushing in as the classic Mario tune began ringing in my ears. But suddenly, the song changed on me. What was once a classic Mario song turned into something completely different. It wasn’t Mario anymore… It was All-Star by Smash Mouth. Now, to be completely honest, I unironically love All-Star so the music change wasn’t unwelcome. However, I know for a fact that All-Star definitely wasn’t in Super Mario Sunshine, so what was I listening to?

What I was listening to at that moment was a SiIvaGunner rip. SiIvaGunner is a YouTube channel that uploads video game mashups with the pretense of being the actual song that plays in the game. He does this so that unassuming people that want to hear the actual song get a pleasant (and sometimes not so pleasant) surprise. His work is amazing and I recommend that everybody that likes video game music (or just music in general!) give his channel a quick listen!

To get you started, I’ll leave you with 5 of my favorite SiIvaGunner tracks! Hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

1. A Secret Course – Super Mario Sunshine

2. Gerudo Valley – The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

3. Yogurt Yard – Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

4. Main Theme – Wii Shop Channel

5. Dire, Dire Docks (OST Version) – Super Mario 64