Noah: My Favorite Asian Food Joints

Jjinmandu_(steamed_dumplings)

Much ink has been spilled over the various eateries this great city has to offer. There is no doubt a wide variety of different options for us college students to reluctantly and guiltily spend our money on, but what I want to focus on is what I think is some of Boston’s best cuisine: Asian food. The city environment I’m familiar with, the great city of Philadelphia, provided me with wonderful, authentic options that never ceased to please and never failed to take money from my wallet. And when I came to Boston, I was worried I wouldn’t be able to find that same level of authenticity and plain goodness that I valued so dearly back home. Boy was I wrong. Here are a few of my favorite Asian food joints that every BU student should experience.

1. Gourmet Dumpling House
  • Located in the heart of Boston’s vibrant Chinatown, Gourmet Dumpling House was my first look into the amazing Asian food Boston has to offer. A relatively small restaurant with limited seating and a cramped waiting area, it was here where I had some of the best Shanghai dumplings of my life. The menu, which contains hundreds of different options (this is no exaggeration, the menu is literally massive), has anything and everything you could ever want from a Chinese restaurant. It’s a relatively cheap option (compared to some of the more boujee joints closer to campus) and the food is fantastic. I highly recommend the lo mein or the fried rice.
  1. Super 88
  • Now this one might come as a bit of a surprise. The Super 88 Asian supermarket in Allston is phenomenal. Though its appearance may be somewhat unsettling, the food here is surprisingly delightful. Part food court, part supermarket, Super 88 has a wide variety of dining options, from boba tea to Vietnamese food. My absolute favorite is the banh mi sandwich from the Vietnamese stand. I thought I had my favorite banh mi back home in Philly, but the one at Super 88 trumps any I’ve had before.
  1. Love Art Udon
  • Looking for a warm, hearty meal to combat the Boston winters? Look no further than Allston’s Love Art Udon, located two doors down from T Anthony’s. This noodle joint opened its doors just a few years ago, made clear by the vibrant, hip decor on the interior. While certainly a little pricier compared to Super 88, Love Art Udon is a great choice if you’re looking for a nice, fulfilling meal during the sad cold of Boston winters. Like all of my suggestions, options are plentiful here, and there truly is something for everyone.

Now, these obviously are not the only amazing Asian eateries in Boston. There are hundreds of spots to get your Asian fix, and I am certainly no expert on all of them. But if you’re feeling like it’s time to treat yourself, you’re tired of that Asian station at Warren, or Panda Express just isn’t hitting like it used to, these three restaurants are always a solid choice.