Kaya: Life Lessons from a Graduating Senior

As of writing this blog, I am just two papers and two finals away from graduation. Am I ready? No. Am I very soft? Yes. Will I be that one senior who graduated but still hangs around campus all the time? I will do everything in my power to make it so. A lot is uncertain right now, but I know one thing for sure: choosing COM at BU was one of the best decisions I ever made.

But there are some choices I wish I hadn’t made, or wish I had made sooner. From me, a graduating senior, to you, dear COM blog reader, a few life lessons:

1. Join as many clubs as you can. Stick with the ones you love. You’ll be glad you did. 
  2. Prioritize your friends over (almost) everything else, old and new. Netflix can wait. So can your reading that’s due next week. (The paper due tomorrow? It can’t wait. Sorry friends.)

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 10.04.29 PM

3. If you think your shoes will be uncomfortable when you walk from one end of Comm. Ave. to another, you’re right. Sneakers are your friend. Wear them wisely. 

4. Spend a summer in Boston. Go to Shakespeare on the Common. Walk along an empty campus. Complain about the heat. Relish the heat. Fall in love with the city. Spend a summer at home, whatever home means to you. Reconnect with old friends. Check in with your family. Complain about having nothing to do. Relish having nothing to do. Rekindle your love with home.

5. Picnic on the Esplanade. Picnic on the BU Beach. Picnic on the COM Lawn. Picnic in Amory Park. Picnic in your dorm. Take the T to the beach and picnic there. Wear sunscreen!

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 10.00.30 PM

6. Talk to your classmates. Go to office hours, even if you don’t have any questions. Linger after class when you can. Get to know your professors!

7. Apply for your dream internship. If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Apply for an internship you never thought you’d be interested in. If you succeed, you’ll learn something new about yourself and what you want.

8. The outlets at Pavement Coffeehouse are not as abundant as you think. Bring an extension cord and stick to the perimeter.

9. JP Licks Ice Cream. That’s it. That’s the tweet. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 10.07.46 PM

10. Re-read a book you read freshman year.

11. Dining points are not convenience points. Learn the difference, and spend wisely.

12. The mozzarella stick pizza from T. Anthony’s will not look like you think it should. Eat it after 12 a.m. and approach nirvana.

13. Go to a hockey game! 

14. Register for a PDP. Learn to rock climb, figure skate, or run a marathon. Brag about it to your friends. Get them to take a PDP with you!

15. The BU Shuttle will not arrive when you need it most. Buy a Razor scooter instead.

16. Take a deep breath. Take a sip of water. Take a nap. 

17. Become a COM Ambassador. 😉

Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 10.02.39 PM

18. Oat milk is the best dairy-free milk.

19. Thank your professors. Thank your advisors. Thank your parents. Thank your friends. Thank your bus driver. Thank your clubs. Thank your editors. Thank your supervisors. Just say thank you!

(A big, big thank you to my fellow COM Ambassadors, FreePies, professors and dear dear friends at BU. I miss all of you dearly!!!)