Noah: My Favorite Quarantine Movie Picks

corina-rainer-9FDI-_E29fk-unsplash

With the beginning of the new school year upon us, I find less and less time available to just sit down and watch a movie for myself. And while it’s great to be back on campus and to actually have something to keep me busy, I definitely miss being able to make myself nice and comfy and immerse myself in a movie. So, I figured why not reflect on the movies I’ve watched these past few months that took me out of the drab and dreary world we live in? Here are some of my favorites:

La La Land – Dir. Damien Chazelle

lalaland

This was my absolute favorite film I watched during my quarantine. It’s really a hard film to dislike. Dazzling colors, catchy tunes, and a heart-wrenching story make this film so compelling, a throwback to the flashy Hollywood musicals of the mid-twentieth century. If you need an escapist film, this one or any of the films in the genre won’t let you down.

Coast Along the Coast – Agnes Varda

coast

Yes, this is technically a tourist advertisement for the French Riviera directed by French New-Wave icon Agnes Varda, but it was on the Criterion Channel so I’m going to consider it for this article. This is another fantastic film to escape the world with. Complete with jazzy French music, comforting scenes of smiling faces and crowded beaches, and the novelty of sixties beach fashion, this film is a delight to watch. It’s also sure to make you long for a sunny vacation. While devoid of a narrative, this short film will certainly produce an ample serotonin bump.

Spirited Away – Hayao Miyazaki

spiritedaway

This film speaks for itself. You’ve seen it, I’m sure. If you haven’t, stop reading this and go watch it. Probably Miyazaki’s most celebrated film, Spirited Away is incredibly endearing. Miyazaki creates this fantastical world of unique and memorable characters, so full of youth and wonder that it’s virtually impossible to dislike this film. The music makes it all the more wonderful, and it’s sure to put a smile on your face.

That’s my list! If you’re feeling overwhelmed in this uncertain time, take a breath, grab a blanket, make a batch of Redenbacher’s Movie Theater Butter Popcorn, and sit down with one of these films. Take care of yourselves!